Monday, February 14, 2011

S.A.D. aka Singles Awareness Day

Valentine's Day... what a treat. From beginning to end- memorable, to say the least. Let's have a quick recap, because the mental images you are going to have will make you laugh...

So for those that don't know, I have to ride the 'school bus' (over here, that's code for Charter bus... no messin around) to get to the school i teach at. Well, to get on the bus I have to have a bus pass, and then to get on the base I have to have a Base Entry ID. All very official, and all VERY cool. So we arrive at our 'bus spot'... a parking lot... which is approximately 2 football fields  away from our dorms. As we are huddled together to hide from the wind, i just happen to look in my wallet for my IDs... standard check. Uh... well, Happy VDay to me, i LEFT THEM in my room. So we have TWO problems: 1. i cannot board the bus or enter the base and 2. the bus is about 3 minutes away. This is where the mental images come in. I'm dressed in my "I hate VDay, but don't want to be emo" outfit... gray slacks, black top, pink sweater. Subtle, but not inviting. Once I realized my predicament, I thrust all of my belongings onto Merideth, grab my dorm key and take off SPRINTING... im not kidding... SPRINTING to our dorm, while yelling "stall as long as you can!" So, here i am, obviously dressed for work, running down the main road of our base like a crazy person. I make it to our dorm in under 90 seconds, fling open the doors grab my IDs and proceed outside again... sprinting... and i look down the street and of course, the bus has arrived. Super. this means all of my 'students' can see me, in all my glory, frantic like a crazy person. i near run into the bus because, among everything else, the bus doors are on the OPPOSITE side. strike two. luckily, i stopped my momentum in time. The bus driver was very gracious and i believe said i had 'good form' hahaha he actually has befriended all of us and is really nice. So he got a kick out of it... So there i am, panting... sweating... taking my jacket and sweater off... wide awake. haha but our adventure didn't end there. On our ridiculously long ride to school, we hit traffic. And this was not some minor stop. nope, we were on that stinking bus for 45 MINUTES! School starts at 805, i didn't arrive until 845. I put that time to good use those and finished a lesson plan/pre test i needed to make.  The surprises kept coming, though.  The class that was suppose to be in session was the "seminar" hour. It's basically a study hall. So i just bound into class, expecting kids to be chatty and not pay attention. WRONG. It's not seminar... it's the class im suppose to be TEACHING! Talk about having the hits keep coming. So then im just annoyed. Because the schedule said one thing, but that morning they switched it. So my lesson i had got put on the back burner for Thursday. The rest of the day was just in shambles as far as a 'routine' haha there was no chance of recovery. don't get me wrong, it was a great day... just NOT what i had planned. I was presently surprised by an anonymous cookie and flower i received?? i have NO idea. and im not sure i want to find out. haha! but i guess that was a good 'pick me up' So basically, the day's end found Merideth and i, alone in the teacher's lounge, reminiscing about our very similar days while eating all of the chocolate in sight left for VDay... when Merideth looks at me and says "And It's VALENTINE'S Day" we dropped to our knees in gut laughter while pathetic feelings ensued. Goodness i love this Hallmark Holiday! Great for a laugh!

No comments:

Post a Comment